Credit and refund information
Please note: We can only process credit and refund requests if you booked directly with Air New Zealand. If you booked through a travel agent, including a third party website, please talk with them directly.
Changes to your booking may incur change fees.
Please note that validity for using credits has been extended.
What is a credit?
A credit is a dollar value retained for you to use to book future travel. Think of it as holding an electronic voucher to spend when you're ready. You may be offered the option of a credit if your flight is cancelled or if your plans change.
Your credit includes any of the following which apply to your booking:
- the original fare,
- all taxes paid (including GST),
- any Air New Zealand flight products, e.g. Seats to Suit, Economy Skycouch, Seat Select, extra bag(s).
- any unaccompanied minor fees, credit card surcharges, or booking fees.
One credit is issued per booking. If you have multiple eligible bookings, you will be issued multiple credits.
To view and use your credit, you'll need your booking reference and the email address from your original booking.
- Online using our online credit tool
- Where? You can use your credit to purchase any Air New Zealand fares, including when another airline is involved. You can also use an existing credit to pay for a flight change, purchasing seats, bags or upgrading an existing booking. Any additional payment must be made using a credit card.
Credits cannot be used for FlyNeutral contributions or to purchase other travel products such as hotels or rental cars.
- Who? You can redeem part or all of your credit for yourself or someone else. If you authorise someone else to use your credit, they will need your booking details.
- How? Use up to 2 credits to make a new flight booking online. If you want to use more than 2 credits, call our Contact Centre. If you would like to use your credit to make changes to an existing booking, such as adding a bag, only 1 credit may be used within a transaction. If your purchase is more than your credit value, any additional payment must be made using a credit card (no credit card fee will be charged).
For credit received before 31 January 2022
- Redeem your credit by booking new flights by 31 January 2023. Any unused credits will expire after 11:59pm, 31 January 2023
- Complete travel before 31 December 2023
- For example, if you received a credit on 20 June 2021 you would have until 31 January 2023 to book a flight, with travel to be completed by 31 December 2023
For credit received from 1 February 2022
- Redeem your credit by booking new flights within 12 months of the date you received your credit
- Travel within 12 months from the time you made the booking
- For example, if you received a credit on 5 February 2022 you would have until 5 February 2023 to book a flight, at which time you can book up to 12 months in advance. All travel must be completed within a year from the date of booking.
See the full credit terms and conditions for more information.
Frequently asked questions - Credit
I would like to make changes to my booking. Will I be charged change fees?
Can I still opt in to receive a credit if my plans change?
Will I be eligible for credit if Air New Zealand cancels my flight?
Do I need to spend my credit all at once?
My credit is not enough to cover the new flights I want to book - what are my options?
I can't access the credit tool - how can I use my credit?
I received an email saying my credit has been redeemed, but I have no knowledge of this. What do I do?
My credit is from a group booking - how can I use it?
I've booked through a travel agent, how do I receive my credit?
Our NZ domestic seat options offer travel flexibility to make changes to your travel plans prior to departure. If you have a flexichange or flexirefund ticket, you have the flexibility to change your flight with no change fees. Flexirefund is also fully refundable.
Fares are only refundable under the following criteria:
- It was specified in the original conditions of your fare, or
- Local legislation requires a refund when a flight is cancelled by the operating airline, or
- The request qualifies for the Air New Zealand COVID-19 compassionate refund policy.
Refundable fare types
You can find the full details of your fare type on our fare rules page. Your fare type is noted on the receipt page of your E-ticket.
Relevant local legislation
Below are some examples of local legislation that may apply to an eligible flight cancelled by Air New Zealand:
- US refund laws apply to flights to/from/within and via the US, regardless of country of residence or purchase.
- Regulation 261/2004 applies to flights departing the EU or UK on any airline, and flights arriving in the EU or UK operated by a European Carrier. The regulation gives passengers the option of requesting a refund, regardless of the country of residence or purchase.
- A refund may also be available in the following jurisdictions, provided that the passenger is resident in the applicable jurisdiction and the travel commences or ends in that jurisdiction:
- South Korea
- Mainland China
Frequently asked questions - Refunds
Can my credit or new ticket be refunded?
Can I use credit to book a refundable fare?
I don't want to travel anymore, what are my options?
Frequently asked questions - Airpoints
I'm logged into my Airpoints account but I can't see my credits - where are they?
I paid for my booking with Airpoints Dollars - what happens now?
Can I transfer other credits to Airpoints Dollars?
Will I earn Airpoints Dollars and Status points when I use my credit?
Other travel products
Our partners provide other travel products both within our online booking service and via standalone websites. While we can't give you a credit on their behalf, you can contact them directly and they will be able to offer support based on their individual policies, as well as the conditions of your booking.
You can find more information about how our travel partners are assisting with cancelled travel plans below: