Mishandled, lost or missing baggage
Below you'll find our recommendations for a speedy resolution.
If your checked baggage didn't arrive
We're very sorry for the inconvenience. Please be reassured that our teams are working behind the scenes to reunite you with your bags as quickly as they can. You can expect regular contact from us until we solve the problem.
To speed up luggage return, here's what you can do:
Report missing bag
- Report your missing bag, on arrival, at the baggage services office at your arrival airport. You will be given a baggage tracing service, airline file reference number which you'll need later. Be sure to provide your best contact phone number if you have one, and the address you'll be staying at.
Keep important information
- Mishandled baggage report you will receive from the baggage services office
- Relevant airline ticket, baggage receipts and excess baggage coupons
- Please keep receipts for emergency or replacement items
- The Baggage Services team will attempt to call you, on the number you have provided, once mishandled baggage has arrived in customs or at the baggage services office
- If you wish, you can check the status of your baggage 24/7 with our online baggage tracing service (please note you will need your airline file reference number, provided to you when you reported your bag missing on arrival)
- For international flights, which may include connecting domestic flights, email or phone the relevant baggage services office with your file reference and name within 21 days of your arrival
- For domestic flights, email the relevant baggage services office with your file reference and name within 30 days of your arrival
Based on the contact details you provide, we will contact you as soon as your baggage is located and, subject to customs and quarantine regulations, deliver it to the address specified.
You may also elect to receive daily updates via SMS and/or email. Please ensure baggage services staff are updated with your correct contact details including a valid mobile phone and/or email address. If your contact and/or delivery details have changed, please advise the relevant baggage services office or online baggage tracing service.
Help we can offer while you're waiting for your bags
If your baggage isn't returned to you within 24 hours and you are away from your home town, you may be entitled to emergency expenses. For details, contact the relevant baggage services office or online baggage tracing service. If you have travel insurance, check your policy benefits.
What happens after five days
If your bag has not been found after five days, please complete the claim form provided to you on arrival. Alternatively you can download the claim form and email it to your nearest Air New Zealand baggage services office. If your baggage is not located within 21 days, we will process the claim while continuing to search.
You should also contact your travel insurer. Air New Zealand's liability for lost baggage is limited by international conventions and the Carriage of Goods Act. Read our conditions of carriage.
Reporting damaged baggage
If you wish to make a claim for damaged baggage you will need to provide proof of the damage within a timely manner.
Damaged baggage can be reported at the airport baggage services office once you have collected your baggage. If you have already left the airport, you can report your damaged baggage by submitting an online baggage report or emailing the baggage services office at your arrival destination.
Your claim will be assessed and processed according to the applicable liability limitations. For further information, please see our conditions of carriage.
Time Limits for reporting/claiming on delayed, lost or damaged checked baggage
You must report delayed or damaged checked baggage in writing within the time limits below.
Domestic (no international connections)
- In the case of damage to your checked baggage, as soon as you discover the damage after you have received the baggage, and at the latest within 30 days after you have received.
- In the case of delayed or lost checked baggage, within 30 days from when the checked baggage should have been available to collect.
- In the case of damage to your checked baggage, as soon as you discover the damage after you have received the baggage, and at the latest within 7 days after you have received.
- In the case of delayed or lost checked baggage, within 21 days from when the checked baggage should have been available to collect.
Read our conditions of carriage.
Sometimes passengers leave personal property behind on the aircraft, airline lounge or airport.
Here are our recommendations for a speedy resolution.
If you leave something on the plane or in the airline lounge
If you left an item in one of our lounges or on board our aircraft, complete our online lost property report.
We'll make every effort to find your property. If required, a letter can be provided to support an insurance claim. Found items are held for one month. You'll need to confirm ownership and provide photo ID when you collect a lost item.
Once we've found your item, we will be in contact with instructions on how you can retrieve it.
If you leave something at the airport
If you left an item at a gate or check-in or somewhere else in at the airport, please contact the relevant airport company.