Stargazing in New Zealand
Free Earth & Sky Mt. John Observatory Tour
Join Earth & Sky - Mt. John Observatory Tour for free when you book a round-trip Hong Kong - Christchurch/Queenstown (flights NZ80, NZ87, and domestic flights operated by Air New Zealand only) before 31 Mar 2018. Offer applies to tours departing between 1 Mar and 30 Jun 2018*. Terms apply.
Please note: Book your tour at least 3 working days in advance. Due to changing sunset times throughout the year, the organizer will confirm the participants the departure time one week prior to their tour. Offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other added values offer. The tour is restricted to children over 8 years of age for participation.
Fill out this form to join Earth & Sky - Mt. John Observatory Tour for free
Stargazing point 1: Lake Tekapo
Mt John Observatory in Lake Tekapo is where you can experience the darkest night skies. Based at the heart of the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve, you will be fascinated by the spectacular views from horizon to horizon - see the vast Milky way stretching across the Southern night sky.
How to get there: approx. 3 hours drive from Christchurch to Lake Tekapo.
Stargazing point 2: Aoraki Mount Cook
Aoraki Mount Cook Village is far from the city lights and located within the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve, this is a ‘gold-rated’ reserve, meaning the darkness of our night skies is almost unbeatable. Here you will experience the spectacular views of the Southern night sky, the Southern Cross and the Milky Way.
How to get there: approx. 5 hours drive from Christchurch to Mount Cook.
Stargazing point 3: Queenstown
Skyline Queenstown is located high above the mountains, keen stargazers may take the opportunity to access a 'hidden world' not seen by the naked eye. Top-of-the line telescopes gives stargazers the chance to view an amazing array of stunning sights, from the iconic Southern Cross, to nebulas, planets, the Milky Way and other galaxies. You may see the Aurora Australis on clear, cold nights close to a new moon in either July or August.
How to get there: domestic flights from Auckland to Queenstown, 15 minutes drive from Queenstown Airport.
Your comfort is our priority - enjoy the fresh flavours of fine New Zealand food and wine with Air New Zealand’s world-renowned menus, and a vast selection of on-demand inflight entertainment on your personal touch screen!
*Earth & Sky Mt. John Observatory Tour promotion terms and conditions
1. This promotion is applicable to passengers who have purchased a round-trip travel on airnewzealand.com.hk for travel between 27 Feb and 31 March 2018, and depart from Hong Kong to Christchurch/Queenstown (flights NZ80, NZ87, and domestic flights operated by Air New Zealand), all legs must be booked in the same transaction. Offer applies to tours departing between 1 Mar and 30 Jun 2018.
2. Only one free tour can be redeemed for each passenger who purchased Air New Zealand air ticket.
3. Offer subject to availability.
4. The offer is not transferable or redeemable for cash.
5. Once booked, all standard Earth and Sky terms and conditions apply including trip cancellations and refunds.
6. Offer applies to tours departing between 1 Mar 2018 and 30 Jun 2018, offer closes 30 Jun 2018.
7. Offer not valid retrospectively on any bookings already confirmed by Earth and Sky.
For Mt. John Observatory Tour details please visit the official website: http://www.earthandsky.co.nz/night-tours/mt-john-observatory-tour
The offer is provided by Earth & Sky. If you have event-specific questions, contact Earth & Sky directly (http://www.earthandsky.co.nz). In the event of any dispute, Earth & Sky's decision shall be final and conclusive.