Credit and refund information
Please note: due to recent weather events, we have received a large number of refund applications and are doing all we can to process these as quickly as possible. Our current turnaround time for all new refund applications is approximately 8 weeks from the time of application.
What is a credit?
A credit is a dollar value retained for you to use to book future travel. Think of it as holding an electronic voucher to spend when you're ready. You may be offered the option of a credit if your flight is cancelled or if your plans change.
Your credit includes any of the following which apply to your booking:
- the original fare,
- all taxes paid (including GST),
- any Air New Zealand flight products, e.g. Seats to Suit, Economy Skycouch, Seat Select, extra bag(s).
- any unaccompanied minor fees, credit card surcharges, or booking fees.
Some things are not included in your credit value, such as Voluntary Emissions Contribution Programme contributions, insurance, hotels, and rental cars.
One credit is issued per booking. If you have multiple eligible bookings, you will be issued multiple credits.
How do I view and use my credit?
You can view a credit and use it to book new flights, pay for a flight change, purchase seats and bags or upgrade an existing booking online and more. Find out more.
Your credit expiry date depends on the day your credit is processed.
For credit received before 1 October 2022
- Redeem your credit by booking new flights by 31 January 2024. Any unused credits will expire after 11:59pm, 31 January 2024
- Complete travel before 31 December 2024
- For example, if you received a credit on 20 June 2021 you would have until 31 January 2024 to book a flight, with travel to be completed by 31 December 2024
For credit received from 1 October 2022
- Redeem your credit by booking new flights within 12 months of the date you received your credit
- Travel within 12 months* from the time you made the booking
- For example, if you received a credit on 5 October 2022 you would have until 5 October 2023 to book a flight, at which time you can book up to 12 months* in advance. All travel must be completed within 355 days from the date of booking.
See the full credit terms and conditions for more information.
Frequently asked questions - Credit
I would like to make changes to my booking. Will I be charged change fees?
Will I be eligible for credit if Air New Zealand cancels my flight?
I received an email saying my credit has been redeemed, but I have no knowledge of this. What do I do?
I've booked through a travel agent, how do I receive my credit?
What can I use my credit for?
Our NZ domestic seat options offer travel flexibility to make changes to your travel plans prior to departure. If you have a flexichange or flexirefund ticket, you have the flexibility to change your flight with no change fees. Flexirefund is also fully refundable.
Fares are only refundable under the following criteria:
- It was specified in the original conditions of your fare, or
- Local legislation requires a refund when a flight is cancelled by the operating airline, or
- Your booking with us is cancelled or delayed due to reasons within Air New Zealand's control, and it meets the criteria outlined in the Conditions of carriage, or
- The request qualifies for the Air New Zealand COVID-19 compassionate refund policy
- A partial refund may be granted in cases of unexpected critical medical emergency or a bereavement with a compassionate fare
Refundable fare types
You can find the full details of your fare type on our fare rules page. Your fare type is noted on the receipt page of your E-ticket.
Relevant local legislation
Below are some examples of local legislation that may apply to an eligible flight cancelled by Air New Zealand:
- In New Zealand, for controllable events like staff sickness, engineering or operational requirements, a refund may be available when Air New Zealand is unable to provide a reasonable alternative flight or where a refund is required under that New Zealand legislation. For disruptions outside of the airline's control (e.g weather, air traffic control event, public health event), where the alternative flight offered is not suitable, customers can opt into credit or if they purchased a refundable ticket, they will be eligible for a refund under those applicable fare terms.
- US refund laws apply to flights to/from/within and via the US, regardless of country of residence or purchase.
- Regulation 261/2004 applies to flights departing the EU or UK on any airline, and flights arriving in the EU or UK operated by a European Carrier. The regulation gives passengers the option of requesting a refund, regardless of the country of residence or purchase. Fare rules may apply, refundable fare types will be refunded and non-refundable fare types will be offered a credit.
- A refund may also be available in the following jurisdictions, provided that the passenger is resident in the applicable jurisdiction and the travel commences or ends in that jurisdiction:
- South Korea
- Mainland China
Frequently asked questions - Refunds
Can my credit or new ticket be refunded?
Can I use credit to book a refundable fare?
I don't want to travel anymore, what are my options?
What information do I need to request a refund?
How long will it take to process my refund request?
Other travel products
Our partners provide other travel products both within our online booking service and via standalone websites. While we can't give you a credit on their behalf, you can contact them directly and they will be able to offer support based on their individual policies, as well as the conditions of your booking. Air New Zealand will meet any obligations it is required to comply with under any applicable law in respect of any other travel products within this section. Any contents of this section will be subject to any applicable laws.
You can find more information about how our travel partners are assisting with cancelled travel plans below:
Rental cars - Avis, Budget and Apex
Hotels - powered by Expedia
Campervans – powered by Motorhome Republic
Taxis or airport transfers
Activities and Attractions – powered by Bookme
* Air New Zealand flights can be purchased 355 days in advance