Feet-up or slouch? Binge-watch or snooze? Spread out in every direction with our award-winning Skycouch.
Air New Zealand's Economy Skycouch™ takes out global award
Air New Zealand has taken out a top international award, The Crystal Cabin Award for the enhancements it's made to its Economy Skycouch™ to cater for the airline's youngest travellers.
Air New Zealand's Economy Skycouch™ wins Global award
Air New Zealand was presented the APEX/IFSA Best Product or Service award at the Airline Passenger Experience Association(APEX) Award for the enhancements it's made to its Economy Skycouch™ to cater for the airline's youngest customers.
Stretch out on the Air New Zealand Economy Skycouch
Pete the kiwi may be nocturnal, but you’re not. Discover a better way to fly with Air New Zealand’s innovative Economy Skycouch™.
It's your couch in the sky.
Imagine a row of Economy seats that can change into a couch after take-off. Clever, right? Comfy, too. Use the Skycouch the way you want. Sit, spread out, or lie down and snooze. Share the space with a partner or children, or keep it all for yourself. It’s a world first.
The seats are the same as Economy, except you have a special footrest on each seat. You can lift them halfway up to make a footrest, or all the way up to create a large couch space.
You won’t end up sharing your Skycouch with a stranger. Whether you book a Skycouch just for you, or for two or more, you get the entire row.
It's for everyone.
Solo traveller in need of some personal space? Young family wanting maximum comfort at minimal cost? The Skycouch caters for everyone. Find the right combination of Skycouch and additional seats for your booking below.
+ One or two adults
+ One adult with one or two children
+ Two adults with one child
+ Two adults with more than one child
It’s cost-effective too.
Skycouch can be an economical way to add a little luxury to Economy. You don’t pay the full price for all three seats, but you get the benefits of a three seater couch in the sky.
Please note, Skycouch prices depend on how many people will be using the Skycouch. If one person occupies the Skycouch, they will pay a higher fee than if it were occupied by two people. Like all our fares, Skycouch prices vary depending on the demand for the flight.
Ready to book?
You can add Skycouch when selecting your seats for a long haul flight online.
1. Select your flights
- Book your flight as normal, and look for ‘Skycouch on board' options.
- The price shown is for a normal Economy seat. You can see the extra Skycouch cost when you select your seat.
2. Select a Skycouch as your seat
- When you're selecting your seats for that flight, choose an available Skycouch.
- We'll show you the cost to upgrade to Skycouch. If you change your mind, you can still press "Cancel" and choose a regular or standard seat.
3. Choose your configuration
- Depending on how many people you're travelling with, you may need more than one Skycouch. We offer options for one Skycouch, Skycouch plus an Economy seat or more than one Skycouch.
- You can see the options and total prices, and choose what's best for you.
More about Skycouch
If you’re travelling with young children, their safety is our priority. Both the Harness and Belt, and Infant Pod are free for Skycouch customers.
- Harness and belt: Lets infants lie down on a seat, even when the seatbelt sign is on.
- Skycouch infant pod: An optional sleep space to keep baby secure. To use the Pod your infant must fit within the height limits. Subject to availability.
What do I get with Skycouch?
We also provide pillows and bedding for your Skycouch.
How do I set up the Skycouch?
To create a comfortable lounge space, move the armrests from the middle seats and window seat all the way up.
When it's time to rest, we'll help you set up your Skycouch. We even have an extension seat belt for when you want to lie down.
How big is a Skycouch?
With the window-end armrest up, a Skycouch is 1.55m (5ft 1") long. With the cushion and leg rests in place, it's 74cm (29") wide. That makes it a little more cosy than a standard single bed, which is usually 1.88m x 92cm (6ft 1" x 3ft).
Where are the Skycouch seats located?
Skycouch seats are in the Economy cabin of all our 777 and 787-9 aircraft. Seat and row numbers vary by aircraft but you can find them on our seat maps.
Take a 360° tour
Drag to explore our Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner Economy Skycouch
Place yourself at the centre of the Air New Zealand cabin experience and take a 360° tour*.
Please take note that for safety reasons, children under 12 years of age must be accompanied by an adult 15 years or older when seated on a Skycouch.
When travelling with infants on Economy Skycouch the infant may lie down when the seatbelt sign is not illuminated. However once the seatbelt sign is illuminated the infant must be returned to the upright position and secured in the infant seatbelt.
* The 360° panorama is of our 787-9 service. Please note when on board the 777-300 and 777-200 long haul services your experience may be different to what is shown in this panorama.